I am a huge fan of Croque Monsieur. I had one most meals when I was in France, and then I found this one at http://www.framedcooks.com/2011/03/brie-croque-monsieur-sandwiches-2.html It sounds to die for and I can’t wait to try it.
adapted from Ile de France Cheeses
- 9 oz. Brie or D’Affinois cheese, cut into 12 thin slices
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- 6 slices thin sliced ham
- 12 slices white bread
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted, divided
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Assemble six sandwiches, each with one slice of ham and two slices of cheese between two slices of bread. Cut each sandwich into quarters.
- Heat half of the melted butter in a large nonstick pan on medium heat, swirling to coat bottom of pan.
- Dip half of the sandwich quarters into the egg and milk mixture, turning to coat. Immediately place in preheated pan, and cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until bread is golden brown and cheese is melting.
- Repeat with remaining butter and sandwiches. Serve hot.