This is my favorite pasta sauces. It is basically a spicy marinara sauce, but is so much better. I started making this a lot when I was living in Greece and had lots of fresh tomatoes, olive oil and spices. I like to cook a protein with the sauce and then mix it with my noodles and sprinkle with a good cheese to make a full meal.
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, combine tomatoes, olive oil, and red pepper flakes. Simmer 30 to 40 minutes, or until sauce is thickened. Stir in garlic, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in basil, salt and pepper.